The problem with any type of dental pain is that it rarely goes away without treatment and sometimes worsens with time. That can mean that an untreated condition becomes more and more serious with each passing month. Your jaw is no different.
Millions of Americans suffer from jaw joint pain. It can negatively impact nearly every aspect of life – from causing painful headaches and migraines to making it impossible to eat comfortably. When does minor pain become a major problem?
Here are some signs to look for:
- Teeth grinding (bruxism)
- Inability to fully open your mouth
- Jaw pain
- Sleep disorders
- Daytime fatigue
- Worn teeth
- Chips, cracks, or fractures
- Bony growths under the tongue
- Ringing in the ears
- Shoulder, neck, head, or facial pain
- Clicking, popping, or locking joints
- Teeth that do not come together properly
Teeth clenching and grinding is detectable with a dental exam by looking for the common signs of bruxism:
- Bite marks along the inside of your cheeks
- Worn or sheared off teeth
- Damage to dentistry and natural teeth
You may suffer from just a few or many of these symptoms. By seeking treatment for TMJ in our Wilmington, DE dental office, you may avoid bigger problems that could ultimately lead to surgery in the future.
Dr. Gladnick uses evidence-based treatment to correct and relieve jaw pain.
This may include one or more of the following:
- An occlusal guard (splint, nightguard)
- Occlusal equilibration (reshaping teeth or dentistry that interferes with the bite)
- Orthodontic treatment to correct misalignment
- Muscle relaxers (only a temporary solution)
- Anti-inflammatory medication (such as ibuprofen)
If you suffer from TMJ pain and live in the Wilmington, DE area, give us a call and set up an appointment with Dr. Mark Gladnick. His experience has provided welcome relief for many of our patients, allowing them to lead more comfortable lives.