When you think about what you eat and your oral health, the first thing that probably comes to mind is to keep sugar consumption to a minimum. But there are other good nutritional habits you should follow that will help you maintain optimal oral health.
Your dentist in Pike Creek, DE can offer you advice on some of the foods you should eat as part of a healthy lifestyle, and we provide some suggestions below.
Why What You Eat Impacts Your Oral Health
Everything you eat and drink comes into contact with the bacteria that live in your mouth. When you don’t get rid of the bacteria by brushing, it turns into plaque. The plaque feeds off the starches and sugars found in many foods. Plaque attacks the tooth enamel, which eventually leads to decay.
Choosing a Healthy Diet
Eating healthy foods is an important part of keeping your teeth and gums healthy. Keep in mind that fruits, milk, cereals, bread, and other “healthy” foods contain sugar or starch that can feed the plaque on your teeth. This is why it’s so important to brush after meals.
General Tips for Good Oral Health
- Drink lots of water to keep your body and your mouth well hydrated
- Eat foods from all major food groups, including fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, dairy, and lean meats
- Avoid snacking on junk foods that are high in sugar
- Choose healthy snacks and drinks that are low in sugar
- Brush twice each day and floss once
- See your dentist twice each year for examinations and cleanings
Call Your Pike Creek Dentist
Eating healthy is important but will not eliminate your risk of developing dental issues such as cavities or gum disease. Regular trips to your dentist in Pike Creek, DE will help ensure your oral health is top notch. Call today for an appointment!